Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Pack Fodder....Or Less

So right now the racing is not going so good, there's no other way to look at it, I'm just not at the level I need to be in order to stay competitive, or even finish the damn races. Saturday was another bad race, stayed in for about 28 minutes and then once we hit the hill I got popped out the back, I did another lap and then quit as I was way off the back, 31 minutes total. I'm not doing anything to help the team so far this year, I don't even feel like I'm part of the race, I'm basically just hanging on for as long as I can and then quitting when I can't hang on anymore, that's make 2 DNFs out of 3 races, not a good record. Sooo, what do I do about that? Well, mentally I'm still trying to stay the course and I keep training every day but eventually this may start to wear on me a bit. I have two options right now, one is to start doing the Master's 3/4 races, which is probably the best choice, or stop racing for a few weeks and just spend the weekends doing some hard training instead of traveling around to race my bike for 30 minutes, which also sounds good to me. I'm not sure what I'll do yet, the Baraboo RR looms on Saturday and that course is not suited for me at all, so that will probably get skipped either way in favor of training. I'm supposed to go camping with the family Friday thru Sunday at Devil's Lake State Park in Baraboo, so I'll be up there either way, although the weather doesn't look good right now, so that may get cancelled too if it rains. Basically right now I'm just going to ride my bike and figure it all out as it comes, I have no clue what this weekend will hold much less the rest of the year. My motivation is definitely not as high as last year, so that has something to do with it, I just have too many interests right now with the house stuff and the yard, and that makes it difficult to take all the free time I have after work on the weekdays and spend it all on biking. Well, that's it for now, nothing much else to say.

6 comments:

ScootsOnMoots said...

Don't feel bad dude. Hell, everything says I should be riding my a$$ off and what's happened to me in two races? One I dropped and the other I fell off and just reintegrated with the main field so that I at least got a workout from it instead. Pretty dismal and neither for any apparent reason. A mental block is one thing. However, look at your HR's during some of your training. Does it ever mirror what happened in both races? If you can't fight at those elevated HR's long enough to hang on, the cycle will repeat. You gotta make it through the first 30 minutes and it'll settle down enough where you can catch your breath and get some water. Keep fighting man....

Carl Fenski said...

Well, how about that.

Brian Carlson said...

Who the hell are you fenski, you got sh*t to say, come to New Berlin and say it to my face.

benbarts said...

Brian, you're strong, everyone knows it. It's not even May yet, we barely started, you have plenty of time. I have a suggestion, see if you can make it to our group ride Tuesday at 5:30 in Hartland. I come from work in New Berlin, and get there in 25 minutes. There are some fast dudes there, and it'll get you back real quick. We could use another jersey.

Brian Carlson said...

Ben,

Where does the ride start on Tuesday? I might need to start doing that every once in a while.

benbarts said...

Centennial Park in Hartland. Big parking lot of the football/baseball field, you can't miss it. It's on HWY K right before that hits HWY E. If you were to take 94 West, take that to HWY 16 past WCTC, and get off on KE and hang a right, stay on that to K, and hang a left on K. You'll see the parking lot a mile or so up on your left hand side. Rolling at 5:30, no exceptions.