Thursday, April 09, 2009

Detour In To Darkness

Unfortunately a detour in to darkness is exactly what I got last night as I was out for what was a planned 90 minute ride which would get me home at 7:30, which happens to be sunset. Well, I didn't get home until 8:05 as I was about 3 miles from home and hit a closed road that detoured me about 2 miles back from where I just came, another two miles west, where I was earlier in the ride, and then finally home coming 3 miles from the other direction. It was pitch black when I hit the driveway and the only thing lighting my way home was the light from the cars which were surprised I'm sure to see a cyclist on the road at that time. Thankfully they were all polite and no one gave me the business for being out without a light. I say thankfully for them, not for me, because if anyone would've said something there would've been a throwdown, I wasn't in the best mood after having my HR pegged around 190 for 30 minutes trying to fly home. I need to figure out a way to get my shoes off quickly though during those times, they put cyclists at a definite disadvantage if someone gets out of their car. "Excuse me, can you wait while I get these shoes off, thanks..." usually won't cut it after you just hurled a verbal barrage at some redneck in a truck....not that I'm stereotyping people who drive trucks...or rednecks. That's experience talking though, especially riding on as many farm roads as I've ridden on, that's just the way it is. Anyways, it was a good ride in spite of that, I was pegged for 45 minutes at least of my 2 hour ride and the weather was perfect and there were lots of people out and about. I'm sore today though so the plan is to do a bit of a recovery ride for about 75 minutes and then relax tonight. I'll see what the weather holds the next few days but it looks o.k. so far so I'm thinking there are quite a few hours of riding in my near future. Chipotle is on the menu today with Dave, fuel for tonight's ride, can't wait.

No comments: