Friday, April 03, 2009

Keepin' On

If anything is "keepin' on", it's winter. Temps have been pretty good of late, but as typical of Spring we've been getting showers on and off so riding has been sparse, but there are obviously better days to come. Sunday isn't one of them though as we are forecasted to get either no snow or 4 to 7 inches "depending upon conditions" as the weathermen say. It's supposed to be in the low to mid 30s so my guess is that we'll get just enough to piss me off, but hopefully not enough to where I have to shovel. Either way, riding will not happen outdoors on Sunday. Today and tomorrow though look like adequate enough temps to ride outside so I'll be hitting the roads for about 75-90 minutes tonight and then hopefully 3 hours tomorrow for a couple of leisurely rides. Today is supposed to be 47-49 but with hefty winds in the 20-30mph range, so I'll get a workout whether I want it or not.
On another note, I've harped on this in the past, actually the last two years at this time, but it looks like the first WCA race will be cancelled again. I'll stand on my soapbox one more time and say - Why on earth are we starting races the first week of April in Wisconsin and finishing the season in July essentially??? It makes no sense, everyone can complain about working around Superweek and such and being wasted after that is over, but there is no reason that after a break of a couple weeks that WCA races can't resume through the first week of September. Don't schedule the first two races at least in April and move them to the back end of the schedule. If there is concern that people won't do those races because the "season" is done, then don't schedule any races in April and put 4 or 5 races after Superweek so that it forces the racers to go to those races if they want to get points. Anyways, it just wouldn't be the same if I didn't rant about this every year. I don't want to hear from mountain bikers and cyclocrossers either, if you do both and the schedules conflict then just make a choice which one you want to do, nothing will ever make everyone happy. And by the way, after all the Superweek issues last year I think they've gone down hill anyways, and with the first half of the schedule heavy with Illinois races, who really cares anymore, it's not what it used to be.
So here is where I went for dinner last night, it was o.k, nothing special. They just opened though so the menu is limited right now until they get going and they aren't really a "Brew Haus" yet as they don't have the permits but I was told they are expecting to either sell (their label) or make their own beer by summer, but I don't think the waiter really knew. They had the bare minimum of Miller, Guinness, Stella, Spotted Cow, and one or two others that I don't remember. I was expecting something different I guess since it just opened by my house and I was excited to go with the thought that I was going to get some new microbrew from them. When I walked in and didn't see any tanks I knew I was going to be disappointed. Oh well, I'll come back in 3 or 4 months to see if they've made any progress. If they don't live up to the "Brew Haus" name of actually making Brew then I don't think they'll last very long.

No comments: