Thursday, August 16, 2007

Coming Along.....

So far the training is coming along just fine, I'm super motivated and last night was another difficult ride as I did a race simulation of 50 minutes after a 15 minute warm-up. Basically I picked a route around my neighborhood that was of similar profile to next Saturday's WCA race and did that at a speed as close to race pace that I could maintain. My course was a bit longer, 1.55 miles, and it was difficult as I had one good 60ft. hill in the route and near the end I was struggling a bit to maintain my speed. I could tell that my lack of long distance aerobic work was showing as I couldn't have maintained any sort of speed for much longer than I did, 50 minutes was basically my max time limit. I think that overall I was not a whole lot off of what I was 8-10 weeks ago but I can't maintain my speed for nearly as long, that's the major difference. Power-wise I think I'm o.k., I can big ring anything short of a super steep grade and last night I was maintaining speeds around 30 on the flats, 21 on the hill. Well, until the end, then my hill climb was around 17 the last 2 laps, I was dying. So, I guess that's my hope for next Saturday, maybe I won't die until the end and then maybe adrenaline will carry me over the hill the last two laps, last night I had nothing to push me. The plan for training is that I'm skipping riding tonight, which has been my plan since last week as I have a b-day party to go to, and then I resume again tomorrow. Tomorrow will be a 2.5 hour ride because that's all the daylight I'll have, and then Saturday morning I will do the Drop The Doc ride assuming it isn't raining like they are saying it's supposed to. Sunday will be a 3 to 3.5 hour ride and then I'll ride Monday through Friday ahead of Saturday's race. Basically I'll work on some speedwork and hill sprints the first 2 days next week and then just do a few normal rides on Thursday and Friday. Well, that's about it for now, until next time.....

No comments: