Thursday, April 05, 2007

I Love Wisconsin

So the weather's great hey? Nothing like 30 degrees and 40 mph winds, perfect for interval training in to a headwind and then you can practically coast home with the tailwind. Unfortunately I wouldn't know because I've been riding the trainer the last two days sheltered in my basement. After work the last two days I've gone home and made dinner, cleaned up a bit around the house and then jumped on the trainer for my workouts. Tuesday I did 2.5 hours on the trainer with 55 minutes of Tempo in the last hour and I felt really good. My knee pain has all but disappeared so I can really push my workouts now at 100% without thinking constantly about the pain and being distracted from the workout. I felt really good coming out of Tuesday's workout in to yesterday's ride where I again did 2.5 hours on the trainer but this time I did 4x10min Steady State intervals. I have to say things started good for the first two intervals but the last two were more difficult. For the 3rd interval I was able to keep my heart rate up but I could tell I was losing power so I backed it off just a couple of beats. I recovered enough for the start of the 4th interval but again I felt myself losing power near the end. The key of this workout is really to keep the HR high, 92%, and I accomplished that so I'm happy about that I guess. I just need to be able to sustain that power all the way through each 10 minute interval. This is the closest workout to simulate a good race-effort breakaway so I want to be able to maintain that so I know I can do it during a race. Should take a couple of more weeks but I'll get to that point before the end of April. Tonight is a 2.75 hour ride at endurance pace, no frills, just a bit of recovery from the last two days. Tomorrow is an easy 1 hour recovery ride and then Saturday will be an intense race simulation day either on the trainer if it's snowing or somewhere around Lake Geneva or Alpine. We do have an Easter get-together to go to on Saturday but not sure what time yet, I'll have to work riding around that, so hopefully I'll have the time to get in a few hours. Well, that's it for now, can't wait for another week of racing, just training on the weekends isn't nearly as fun. Until next time.......

1 comment:

ScootsOnMoots said...

Come on...there's more to talk about than just riding your bike, isn't there??