Sunday, May 06, 2007

Not Racing Today

So this is just not my week as I'm not racing today in Neenah. I rode Wednesday at the Muskego Park course for next weekend's race and it was a cold day and my legs didn't have it. I felt o.k. but not great Thursday and was going to ride but my son ended up having some school stuff come up that I didn't know about and my wife was gone at clinicals so I had to drive him around and couldn't leave because I wasn't sure what time he had to be picked up. Friday was my wife's birthday and we had friends over for a surprise party and that lasted well in to the evening so I didn't ride then. Yesterday I woke up feeling horrible and just did some stuff around the house and couldn't bring myself to ride in the cloudy, 50 degree weather. With plugged ears, sore throat, and continued body aches I just was not up to being cold and suffering some more. I'm not sure if I'm just fatigued or what is the issue, but I've been really tired lately, just basically sleeping all the time. I'm normally a night person and stay up until 11:30ish on weeknights but this past week I've been going to bed any where from 9:00 to 9:30. It's been a stressful week at work and this next week will be as well so I think that is part of what is wearing me out. So anyways, it's been 3 days off the bike and with just not feeling well I decided it's best to skip today's race, I just didn't think my body was ready. I was sick last week before Whitnall and I knew my body wasn't ready and sure enough I had my worst race of the year. Well, knowing that, I wasn't going to go up to Neenah and waste half a day to finish in the middle of the pack knowing that I'm not feeling good again. I'm feeling a little better today so I think it's best just to get back to basics and use today as a training day to get my legs under me again. I'll get more benefit out of going for a long ride than to race for 45 minutes, so I'll be doing that today. It's windy as hell though, 30-35 mph winds but I wasn't looking at going fast anyways, so if I'm only cruising along at 15mph, oh well. I'd like to get about 4 to 5 hours in today, just to get that endurance back and with the winds 5 hours may only end up being 85 miles, but I'll take it. My longest ride in the last 2 weeks has been only 55 miles I think, maybe 3 hours. Once I get in that long ride today I'll feel better about training this week although the weather looks like crap with rain Tuesday and Wednesday so I'm sure I'll be on the trainer at least a couple of times. I really want to do well the next 3 races so today is where it begins I think, maybe the 3 days off was good mentally and physically and I'll start new today. Who knows.....it's been a struggle the last 2 weeks to really get the training going with the family stuff, work, and not feeling the best. I guess that's it for now, until next time.......

No comments: