Monday, June 05, 2006

Not Really Gettin' It Done

Well, my training has gone downhill the last few days after following my program to a "T" for the last month with a good 3rd place result in only my 4th race. I was feeling really good coming out of Wheels on Willy and was feeling completely blown up but really strong after doing the Horrible Hilly Hundreds with my dad in addition to some other really good training rides. This past week though wasn't such a good week of training and this week isn't going to be any better as I'm heading out of town for business to Tampa, FL. It started Thursday when I didn't ride because I had to go to Home Depot to get some of my equipment and supplies to put up my fence this weekend, and then I didn't ride my scheduled day off on Friday. Saturday I was up at 6:00 a.m. and worked on the fence from 6:30 until 5:00 when I finally stopped to bike and ended up doing something like 43-44 miles, but I was very tired and it was a lackluster effort. It was supposed to be a Race Simulation day but I ended up simulating a little baby riding a bike rather than a racer. I was just completely drained and although I had a good average speed my hill sprints and faux bridging simulations were pretty poor. Sunday I was up and working on the fence by 7:30a.m. and didn't stop until 7:00 p.m. so needless to say I didn't bike yesterday either. Today I biked for an hour at a pretty good tempo speed but obviously kept it short as it was supposed to be a scheduled rest day for me. Tomorrow we have a chance of thunderstorms but I'll see what I can squeeze in before I have to pack and get ready for my 7:00 a.m. Wednesday flight. I hope to get in about 2 hours at the least, but who knows how that will work out as I might get stuck at work late finishing things up before I head out. Now the kicker, the suites that we are staying at in Tampa are more like an apartment complex than a hotel so they have no fitness center, which means no biking, which means my program is trashed for this week. I will bring my running shoes but I am not a runner and don't like running so who knows if those will ever get out of my suitcase. They do have a pool and I'll try and do some swimming as that obviously works the legs pretty good if I do a lot of kicking. Other than that, I won't be doing much until I get back on Sunday. I have 5 weeks before the first SuperWeek race and I really want to do well for the two weeks of the race as I can pretty much race every stage if I'd like as I am on sabbatical. 5 weeks should be enough to get me back in to shape but only time will tell I guess. Well, it's almost time to hit the hay so I'll update ya'll tomorrow and barring any internet issues should be able to give updates throughout the week.

No comments: