Monday, January 15, 2007

3 Months To Go

3 months from today is the first race of the season in Madison and I'm itching to race now but will definitely benefit from the next 3 months of training before then. Yesterday I didn't quite get in the time I wanted on the trainer, as I wanted to do 4 hours but only finished 3 hours just due to time constraints around the house. Sometimes you just have to make sacrifices for the good of the family and forego the cycling, yesterday was one of those days and I'm sure it won't be the last one this year. So anyways, like I said, it was 3 hours of just Endurance Miles, no secondary workouts and all in all it felt really good but I was a little tired at the end because I think I'm just worn out in general. It didn't help that I had a wedding on Saturday night and consumed quite a bit of Jameson Irish Whiskey and was probably a bit dehydrated so some of it was my own fault that I was sluggish. Today I did weights after work and felt really strong doing that and actually contemplated cycling tonight just because I have quite a bit of energy right now. Unfortunately I still have some work to do around the house, namely some shoveling of the driveway and also cleaning the basement so that I have a nice work area for my bike stand. It's just stuff I have to get done so that I'm not worrying about it later. Tomorrow is going to be 1.75 hours on the trainer as I'm kind of dialing back my hours this week for a Regeneration week as I can tell I'm getting a little worn down. So basically I've cut 15 minutes to an hour off of all my rides this week, with the big cut being on Saturday when I'll only do 2.5 hours instead of what has been 3.5 to 4 hours. Next week starts my Preparation Period after resting a bit this week so my hours will go up over what I've done the last few weeks. Basically I'll keep doing Endurance rides but will introduce Tempo workouts as my secondary work during the rides and will increase the reps for the Muscle Tension workouts that I'm already doing. After a few weeks I'll then throw in Steady State Intervals as well as Power Intervals. So, basically just 5 days of shorter rides this week, but I will still be doing my secondary exercises such as Fast Pedals and Muscle Tension but will just do less of them. Well, that's enough of that boring stuff for today, until next time..........

No comments: